ASBO International understands that district operations and timely submissions of COE applications have been disrupted by COVID-19. ASBO International will approve an extension of the COE submission deadline upon receipt of your request emailed to COE@asbointl.org (COE@asbointl.org).
Any school district in the United States (including charter schools, educational service units, community colleges, and universities) that conforms to GAAP and incorporates the COE criteria into its CAFR is eligible to apply for the Certificate of Excellence in Financial Reporting (COE). The CAFR must include an unmodified audit opinion from an independent auditor.
Your COE application packet must include:
- Completed COE application.
- Cover letter specifying any COE criteria that do not apply to your school district.
- Original Reviewer comments from the previous year
- Your district’s responses to the reviewer comments from the previous year.
- Mandatory if the school district is applying for the first time, received a conditional or denied award from the most recent submission, or did not submit the previous year.
- Optional if the school district does not fit the criteria above, but still highly recommended.
Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) document or a link to your CAFR.
Submit your COE application packet:
ASBO International no longer accepts hard copy submissions of COE documents, i.e. books, CDs, flash drives, or paper. Please contact us with questions.
- Attach each of the required, individual application documents as separate PDFs or links.
- Include payment information.
- Email to COE@asbointl.org.
Application fees are based on your district’s total revenue.
|Total District Revenue, All Funds
|Under $10 million
|$10 - $25 million
|$25 - $50 million
|$50 - $100 million
|$100 - $250 million
|$250 million - $1 billion
|Over $1 billion
If your CAFR does not meet the COE award criteria in a given year, ASBO will waive your application fee for the following year.
Deadlines & Extensions
All COE application materials are due within six months of your district’s fiscal year end.
|Fiscal Year End
Need an extension? Submit a request to COE@asbointl.org.