Apply for the Meritorious Budget Award
The Meritorious Budget Award (MBA) recognizes school districts that demonstrate excellence in school budget presentation. If you are a first-time applicant, you may apply to the MBA or for the award's introductory program, Pathway to the MBA.
The following guidelines will help you successfully submit your application.
Your application packet must include:
- Completed MBA application form.
- Cover letter specifying any MBA criteria that do not apply to your school district.
- Completed MBA Criteria Checklist 2.0.
- Reviewer comments from the previous year and your school district's responses (if applicable).
- Budget document.
Submit your application packet:
BY EMAIL (preferred)
- Include one copy of each item listed above attached as a PDF.
- Include payment information. (If you submit your application packet by email, you must pay by credit card.)
- Email to MBA@asbointl.org.
- Submit three copies of each item listed above in one of the following formats:
- PDF (saved on three separate CDs or flash drives)
- Hard copy
- Include payment information. (If you submit your application packet by mail, you may pay by check or credit card.)
- Mail to:
Meritorious Budget Award
11401 North Shore Drive
Reston, VA 20190-4232
As an MBA recipient, your district receives
Comprehensive comments about your budget.
A prestigious MBA perpetual plaque, sent the first year and again in the 13th year of receiving the award. A year plate is mailed every year your school district receives the award.
MBA award certificate.
Any school entity in the United States and Canada (including local school districts, charter schools, educational service units, and colleges and universities) that incorporates the MBA criteria into its budget development process is eligible to apply.
Both past participants and first-time applicants are encouraged to apply. Previous applicants may only apply to the MBA.
Application fees are based on your district’s total revenue.
Total Revenue, All Funds
ASBO International Member
Less than $50 million
$50 million – $200 million
$200 million – $1 billion
More than $1 billion
If your district does not meet the requirements this year, we encourage you to reapply for the MBA. In fact, ASBO International will waive your MBA application fee for the next year!
Deadline and Extensions
All MBA application materials are due within 90 days of your budget’s legal approval.
Need an extension? Submit a request to MBA@asbointl.org.