Writers' Guidelines for School Business Affairs Magazine
School Business Affairs is the professional magazine of ASBO International. It strives to provide a wide-ranging selection of articles, features, and columns on methods and ideas covering all phases of school business management, including technology, construction and building materials, budget and finance, information systems, security, food service, maintenance and operations, transportation, human resources, and legal issues.
Remember Your Audience
Your primary audience is school business administrators. The audience also extends to superintendents, principals, university professors, school board members, government officials, and other school central office administrators. They want to read about practical, cost-saving methods, practices and policies, and current trends in education.
- The typical feature article is 1,000-1,500 words, although this standard is flexible depending on the subject. School Business Affairs also runs a variety of columns, including Management Briefcase, Facilities, and Legal Perspectives. Manuscripts for columns are generally about 700 - 1,000 words.
- Use jargon-free vocabulary and base your points on personal experience or field research. Your writing should be clear, concise, smooth, logical, and consistent. Don’t be afraid to speak directly to the reader in a conversational style. Your article serves as a tool for school business officials and should not promote specific products or services.
- Do not use headers, footers, automatic page numbers, or footnotes.
- Manuscripts should be created in Microsoft Word or Works, double spaced, and include a suggested title that reflects the focus of the article. Don’t forget to include your name, title/position, and contact information (address, phone, e-mail).
- Do not embed graphs, bar charts, and other graphic elements within the text. Rather, provide each on a separate page, clearly marked with figure number and a brief description.
- E-mail your article as an attached file to ASBOSBA@asbointl.org
We make every attempt to acknowledge receipt of your manuscript within two weeks. If your article is accepted, we tentatively assign it publication in a specific issue but schedule changes often occur. Please let us know if you have submitted the article elsewhere or whether it has been published previously. If your article is not accepted, we will be happy to return it to you upon your request, along with an explanation.
For additional information, please contact:
11401 North Shore Drive
Reston, VA 20190
866/ 682-2729, x7076
703/ 478-0205 Fax