Am I Eligible?
Pathway to Certification
Step 1: Take and pass SFO Exam Part 1: Accounting
Step 2: Take and pass SFO Exam Part 2: School Business Management
Step 3: Adhere to the ASBO International Certification Code of Conduct
Step 1: There are no prerequisites to take the SFO Exam Part 1:
Step 2: Meet one of the three options below.
- Master’s degree in a field related to school business management plus two years of experience as a school business official with overall administrative responsibility for, or administrative experience in, the areas in the exam competencies.
- Bachelor’s degree plus three years of experience as a school business official with overall administrative responsibility for, or administrative experience in, the areas in the exam competencies.
- Professionals not meeting the educational requirements, but who believe they are seasoned practitioners can request eligibility through the seasoned practitioner application process.
Depending on education level, you must have at least 24 or 36 months of overall administrative responsibility at a K-12 or community college education system in each of these school business related areas:
- Managing accounting systems
- Managing accounting functions
- Conducting financial planning and analysis
- Conducting budgeting and reporting activities.
You must also have at least 24 or 36 months of administrative experience at a K-12 or community college education system, depending on education level, in at least three of the following school business related areas:
- Risk management activities
- School facilities
- Information systems
- Human resource functions
- Ancillary services.
For more information about each of these areas of
school business management, view the exam content outline. View
the Candidate Handbook for more details about
Don't meet the program criteria and you are a seasoned practitioner? Learn more about applying through the Seasoned Practitioner application process.