Certification Exam Committee Begins Work (March 3, 2010)
Reston, VA —
March 3, 2010 —
The Association of School Business Officials International (ASBO) met a new landmark in developing a certification program for school business officials. The newly appointed Exam Committee assembled for the first time, February 22-24, 2010, at ASBO's headquarters in Reston, Virginia.
Charged with writing questions for the two-part certification exam, these 17 school business officials are divided into two corresponding groups to assist in the item writing for both parts of the test. These esteemed volunteers have all been practicing in the profession for at least five years and represent the breadth and scope of schools business officials from across the United States and Canada.
The first part of the exam focuses on information that is necessary at the time of job entry, such as managing accounting systems and managing accounting functions.
Exam Committee Part 1
- Michael M. Adamczyk, RSBA, Assistant Superintendent — Business Services, Troy School District, Troy, MI
- Gilbert Bernstein, RSBA, School Business Management Consultant, Denton, TX
- Susan K. Givens, CFO, Masconomet Regional School District, Topsfield, MA
- Joe Henderson, CGA, Secretary-Treasurer, Wolf Creek Public Schools, Ponoka, AB
- Jenny L. Martens, Business Manager, Nome Public Schools, Nome, AK
- Ruth A. Russell, Director of Business Services, University Place School District, University Place, WA
- Kay J. Watson, RSBS, CFO/Business Manager, Fremont County School District 24, Shoshoni, WY
The second part of the exam covers competencies that school business professionals experience on the job, such as conducting financial planning and analysis, managing school facilities, and more.
Exam Committee Part 2
- W. Edward Chabal, Director of Finance, Mt. Pleasant Community School District, Mt. Pleasant, IA
- Ken Clickenger, Business Manager, Euclid City School District, Euclid, OH
- Patrick Conner, CSFO, Tuscaloosa County Schools, Tuscaloosa, AL
- Laura E. Cowburn, RSBS, Assistant to the Superintendent Business Services/Board Secretary, Columbia Borough School District, Columbia, PA
- Mohsin Dada, CFP, RSBA, Assistant Superintendent for Business Services, Schaumburg Community School District No. 54, Schaumburg, IL
- Dave Jones, Assistant Superintendent, Kenai Peninsula Borough School District, Soldotna, AK
- Aubrey Kirkpatrick, Director of Finance, Administration and Communications, School District 2, Moncton, NB
- Pamela D. Palmo, Director, Food Services, Tucson USD, Tucson, AZ
- Diane N. Pertzborn, Director of Business & Auxiliary Services, DeForest Area School District, DeForest, WI
- Gail M. Zeman, School Business Management Consultant, Rockport, MA
ASBO plans to begin beta testing in the summer of 2010, unleashing the full certification program in November 2010. Learn more about the exam content.
"The Exam Committee meeting is an exciting milestone for the
certification of school business professionals," said John Musso, CAE,
RSBA, executive director of ASBO International. "In a matter of
months, the certification program will dictate a new era for
school business management, an era of high standards and public
accountability that will revolutionize the profession."
Download the PDF press release (117K file).
Please Note: You will need Adobe Acrobat to view the file
Click here to find a FREE download of Adobe Acrobat Reader.